Putting this classic comfort food in miniature skillets raises it to a level fit for company. Make sure the filling is hot and the pastry is cold when it goes in the oven.
- ¾ pound carrots
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped roasted or rotisserie chicken
- 1½ cups sweet peas
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 large egg
- ½ (17.3 ounce) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed but cold
Preheat oven to 400°. Cut carrots and celery into ½-inch-thick slices. Cut onion into quarters. Arrange on a jelly-roll pan.
Toss with olive oil; sprinkle with ½ teaspoon pepper and ¼ teaspoon salt. Bake at 400° for 55 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
Arrange 12 lightly greased 3½-inch castiron skillets on an aluminum-foil-lined baking sheet. (6-ounce oven proof ramekins can also be used.)
Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in chicken broth; cook over … Read More