Homemade pizza crust
- 2 large onions, cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1 large North Georgia apple or local pear
- 2 links organic chicken sausage
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
- 2 ounces Capra Gia goat cheese (red pepper, herb, onion or 7-pepper)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and white pepper to taste
- Fresh arugula
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
Sauté onions in 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil, add ¼ cup brown sugar and cook until they are limp, brown and almost crispy. Just before they are finished add 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and continue to cook until the liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
Sauté the organic chicken sausage and add sliced green apples or pears just before the sausage is brown around the edges. Layer the onions, sausage and apples on top of the homemade pizza dough. Sprinkle with toasted walnuts and Capra Gia’s goat cheese. Lightly sprinkle with sea salt and white pepper.
Heat pizza in a pre-heated 400° oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Top with fresh arugula that has been lightly dressed in a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and a teaspoon of olive oil.